Monday, June 6, 2011

5th wheel

Blog post - 5th wheel

So most of this will be in reverse chronological order, except for the posts that will be documenting the progression from now on, which will be standard chronological and the posts that will be completely out of order because I remembered something from my completely spotty memory.

Last week we decided to buy a 5th wheel.  We had considered it for quite a while since we wanted to eventually do a little traveling.  Of course, this was a "maybe next year" time frame.  Well, the tornado moved our time frame up a little.  Since our house had been condemned by the city and the insurance company is not really johnny-on-the-spot, we needed to find a semi-permanent location to rest our heads.  So we bought a 31' 1993 NuWay, Champagne Edition.  Still trying to figure out how it works.  The built in generator runs the air conditioner which is most important right now.  The fridge runs on both electric and LP.  I haven't filled up the LP tanks yet and I can't figure out how to get it to work on electric.  Oh well.  I'm hoping that the electric company will make use of the 14.5 foot a-frame tower I built in my yard so we could get temporary electricity.  It would be nice to be able to plug the 5th wheel (hereinafter known as the trailer) into an electric source that doesn't suck up $30 of gas every day.

Anyways, I know my trailer is now a city code violation because it not only goes past the sidewalk, but also extends out onto the road as well.  Considering the amount of garbage, debris, trees, etc, that was lined up on the roads, I didn't think they would mind too much at this point.  I'll move it once I can properly tear down what's left of my fence so I can park it in the back yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment