Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Just do it!

I was thinking the other of the legal repercussions of that phrase: Just do it.  More so in the inappropriate context.  Does the intent behind the word have anything to do with the enforceability of a trademark? Really, what if an adult franchise started using the slogan? Can NIKE still enforce its rights if they clearly meant something else?

I've been considering compiling phrases from when i was young, most of which I learned from my mom.  Phrases like, "if you can't pay, don't play". The rest of which I can't remember right now, which is why I need to write them down.  They always seem to pop into my head at the appropriate time though. Funny how that is.  And they are all great nuggets of wisdom.  Simple phrases that contain road signs of life.



There are two common ones she used to tell me, and I've since combined since they seem like a great pairing.  Those are, "keep your head down," and "keep your chin up." Those phrases really go hand in hand.  And while physically it appears to be contorting a persons face into two directions, if you consider that everything is a balance, or a compromise, the when we put our head down, to avoid dealing with things that are superfluous, and keep our chin up, to ensure that we maintain the idea that we are on the right track, regardless of how hard that track may be, then our heads compromise and point straight forward.  I believe these two go hand in hand because people don't need to be told to keep their chin up when things are going well. No do they need to be told to keep their heads down when things are going well.

This phrase inculcates that in a time of despair or tribulation in your life, your are to ignore the things that really don't matter, and to maintain your own personal standards.  It is a recipe for getting thourhg an obstacle course that is seemingly impossible.  It is how we get through tough times.  Its very simple. And it works.

"Keep your head down and your chin up."  It really says the same thing as Nike's "Just do it," but I believe its more human.  The JDI phrase really says to forget about all the reasons not to do something and simply do it. Good advice I suppose, but it doesn't really communicate the how of getting through the obstacle course of life.  My compound phrase does (thanks, mom!).

So keep it in mind. When things start sucking that doesn't mean they are ending.  Never in life have I felt the thrill of having worked hard through an obstacle course, a real one, to struggle and strive at every turn only to look back and see what I've accomplished.  I kept my head down and avoided any issues that did not relate to my current obstacle. I didn't continuously check how many obstacles were left. But I kept my chin up with the knowledge that if I take this course one step at a time, the seemingly impossible course CAN be conquered.
Seriously, just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment